Between 3th of July to 5th of July 2018, heavy rainfall of unprecedented intensity caused flash flooding in several parts of Mongolia affecting more than 792 households across the country. Following the heavy rainfall, Khovd, Bayan-Ulgii, Zavkhan, Uvurkhangai Provinces Centers and Khan-Uul District became affected by the floods. Over 210 families have lost their homes, over 700 livestock have perished, and at least 55 hectares of agricultural land have been destroyed.
Key data on affected populations:
- A total number of 2,512 people are affected by the hazards, among them 1,636 children, 120 disabled, 159 elderly people, and 597 adults.
- Because of landslides, 275 households have lost all their belonging, including houses.
- The number of people in the shelter started to decrease, but there are still 15 households; 67 people, present in the shelter (at the date of 01 of August).
- No electricity and running water. It is not possible to use deep wells.
- People living in shelters have no supply of food, water, clothes, blankets.
- About 1,543 have found refuge in relatives’ houses, putting pressure on welcoming families as the need for food increases.
CHARIS has currently Pledged SGD 25,000 in response to Caritas Internationalis, Emergency Appeal 19/2018 for the relief and humanitarian efforts for those affected by the floods in Mongolia.
In the meantime, should you wish to donate towards these and other humanitarian situations, you can print and complete our downloadable donation form to send a crossed cheque payable to "CHARIS HAF" to CHARIS at 55 Waterloo Street, #07-02, Catholic Centre Singapore 187954. Please contact Antaeus Lim at 6337 4119 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or require any assistance.